Did you know that October is Careers in Student Affairs Month!? By Katie Ratterree

October is Careers in Student Affairs Month (CSAM), a celebration of student affairs for current professionals and a way to promote the field to interested students and professionals. If you know undergraduate students interested in entering the field, this is a group opportunity to invite them to the Careers in Student Affairs Panel hosted by HEA! NASPA is providing eight educational webinars for current student affairs practitioners and our very own Dr. Tiffany Davis is hosting the kickoff webinar, “Student Affairs: The Greatest Profession on Earth.” Check out the HEA website for more information on this event and other CSAM opportunities.

Because Careers in Student Affairs month is an opportunity to reflect on our own professional journey, I would like to use this blog post to share about my experience. As an undergraduate student, I had no idea what a career in student affairs entailed. I knew what I liked–working with students, program development, and education policy–but did not know how to translate those interests into a single job. I always assumed that I would have to pick a career based on one area I was passionate about and simply forego my other interests. Between undergrad and graduate school I first worked for a Public Affairs firm and later for an Outdoor Education program but something was always missing. I didn’t know how to combine my seemingly disparate interests in policy and youth development into a single career. It seemed impossible…

…until I discovered student affairs. The Higher Education Administration program at NC State finally provided me with a long-searched-for pathway to the job of my dreams. I currently have an assistantship with the National Initiative for Leadership and Institutional Effectiveness (NILIE) and an internship with the Office of Assessment for the Department of Academic and Student Affairs (DASA). Through my position with NILIE I am learning about survey methodology and developing both quantitative and qualitative research skills. I am helping with the administration and data analysis for DASA’s Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP), which measures critical and creative thinking of undergraduate students.  I have had opportunities to assist Upward Bound students with college applications, advise Duke undergraduates on their summer internship search, and assist faculty with research through an independent study. My education and work in student affairs have provided me with the technical skills and professional opportunities to combine my varied interests into a single career in higher education and I couldn’t be happier with my choice!

I hope you get involved in CSAM and enjoy the educational and professional development opportunities this month has to offer!