Get Involved at ACPA 2015! Convention Service Project, by Sarah Cantrell Perkins, 2011 alumna

One year ago I was preparing to go to the ACPA Convention in Indianapolis. I had established with my supervisor that one of my goals was deeper involvement with ACPA; my task for the 2014 Convention was to identify specific positions that would be a good fit. During the Commission for Student Involvement (CSI) Open Meeting, I learned about the Convention Service Project Volunteer role and was immediately intrigued. Following that meeting, I had lunch with AJ and I shared my excitement with her, but also some concerns that come with putting your name in the mix for a new opportunity. As many of you can imagine, AJ was incredibly supportive and reflected to me how I could make this experience my own. I applied, was selected, and have been working over the past several months to coordinate the 2015 Convention Service Project. We’re in the final stretch and I’m reaching out to any and all Wolfpack -prospective and current students, faculty, and alumni – to join us and help us make the event a great success!

There are several ways you can participate:

Direct Service Project

Thursday, March 5 (8am-12:30pm). Participants will serve in teams with one of three Tampa Community partners: Feeding America Tampa Bay, Keep Tampa Bay Beautiful, and Tampa Heights Jr Civic Association.

Feeding America is the largest domestic hunger relief organization in the country, consisting of a network of more than 200 food banks. Feeding America Tampa Bay services a 10 county area in West Central Florida. Volunteers will sort through food donations, pack bags of groceries for those in need, stock and maintain the pantry/shopping area, and/or assist with any special projects.

Tampa Bay Beautification (founded in 1989) and Keep Hillsborough County Beautiful (founded in 1992) merged in 2012 to form Keep Tampa Bay Beautiful. Building on the success of these two non-profits, Keep Tampa Bay Beautiful continues to have a huge impact in the community. Keep Tampa Bay Beautiful is the local affiliate of Keep America Beautiful. Volunteers will participate in a local community clean up. *Note: ACPA volunteers on this project will walk to the neighborhood from the Convention Center.*

Tampa Heights Junior Civic Association is a community-based, resident driven organization that connects youth and families in the community; provides youth the opportunities to build leadership skills and civic involvement through mentoring, caring, and support; and secures resources to respond to identified needs. Volunteers will work at the community garden and a few will help at the community center as it prepares to open later in March.

Check-in will be in Marriott Lobby 2 of the Marriott Tampa Waterside hotel from 8:00 – 8:15am. Transportation to and from projects is provided.

Register today to secure the project of your choice! More details: www.myacpa.org/commsi

Professional Dress Clothing Drive

On-going. Donate new or gently used professional clothing in bins located near the convention registration area through Saturday, March 7 at 12pm. Donations will benefit Dress for Success Tampa.

Convention Service Project 2.0: Maximizing One Day Service Projects

Sunday, March 8 (8:00am-9:00am, Convention Center Room 24). Sponsored by the Commission for Student Involvement, this session corresponds with the Convention Service Project and will spotlight the challenges and opportunities related to critical reflection and one day service projects. Through the use of guided reflection activities focused on the Convention Service Project and a facilitated discussion among session participants, this program will engage Convention Service Project participants more deeply and will share the Service Project with those who did not attend. Participants will share best practices with critical reflection through a discussion-based, activity-led format.

The ACPA Convention Service Project is a wonderful way to meet colleagues, support the Tampa community, and to engage in the NCSU HEA’s values of integration with the larger community. Help us put these values into action and register for the Convention Service Project today! I look forward to seeing you in Tampa and thanks, in advance, for your support!

Sarah Cantrell Perkins is a 2011 graduate of the Higher Education Administration master’s program. She serves as the Civic Engagement Coordinator at the Georgia Institute of Technology. You can reach out to Sarah with any questions at sscantrell@gmail.com.